Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Real Problem

You told me once that you’ve never understood poetry
And I laughed today on my way over to give you back your key
Because I realized so supremely and so instantly
how true that is.

You’ve never understood poetry,
Not while it filled the pages of my notebook
As we sat side by side on the airplane to Tucson last summer,
Not when you saw it spilling from my tired eyes
That day two weeks ago when we had our last fight,

Not even when we danced at that wedding
And it wrapped around us like a warm fog,
Was like dew against your skin,
And I reached out and touched it
Couldn’t even speak
And when the song ended, you walked away
Like you were leaving a grocery store.

No, you’ve never understood poetry,
Not even when it was all around us,
Not even in the moments where we became it.
And there, all along, my dear,
Was our problem.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!